Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Most of us have used ice packs and frozen peas to relieve swelling, pain, and soreness for many years. Now, technology makes things much more manageable. Noticeably, Cold therapy machines have become a substitute for traditional ice packs.
If you suffer from sprains, running knees, tendonitis, arthritis pain, inflammation, joint pain, or back pain, the cold therapy machine can help. Moreover, cold therapy machines are also utilized after surgery, and many athletes use them to treat pain and swelling.
We will introduce the best cold therapy machines available in 2021, but first, let’s talk about a cold therapy machine. Read on!
What is a Cold Therapy Machine?
Cold Therapy, also known as “Cryotherapy,” is a technique to expose the body to freezing temperatures for several minutes. Cold therapy machines are devices designed to relieve pain and swell in the body by using extremely cold fluids. Actually, cold therapy machines use coolant and ice water to solve this problem. This technique usually helps speed up the healing of injuries and pain.
Benefits of Cold Therapy Machine
From daily muscle recovery to targeted pain relief, cold therapy provides many health benefits. Some of the benefits of cold therapy machines are:
- With a cold therapy machine, you get constant temperature throughout each session as cold water is circulated through the machine.
- These units are primarily portable so that they can be used everywhere.
- As a cold therapy machine provides constant temperature, so the cold penetrates deeper into tissues.
- Many doctors recommend cold therapy for post-surgical rehabilitation because cold therapy machines can reduce pain by controlling inflammation and swelling in the affected area.
- Many athletes use cold therapy to recover from muscle and injury after exercise. Cold therapy machine helps the muscles to repair faster and prepare for the next session.
- Applying ice packs can be a hassle, especially for areas such as your knee or shoulder. However, cold therapy machines provide more coverage, uniform contact, and a long-lasting cooling effect.
Best Cold Therapy Machines
We have compiled a list of the best cold therapy machines to help you buy the perfect brand for a guaranteed compression and fast recovery:
Ossur Cold Rush Therapy System
Ossur Cold Rush is a truly high-quality product. This model is equipped with an adjustable wide shoulder strap. The size and shape of the pad allow it to adapt to different parts of the body, such as the hips and knees. The durable and quiet motor has four power settings and can supply cold water continuously for up to 6 hours.
- Intuitive control knob
- 6-hour ice water ratio
- Insulated walls
- Quiet motor
- Locking lid
- Light 4.6-pound weight
- Convenient carrying handle
- Lightweight, easy to transport
- Adjustable and versatile shoulder pad
- Whisper-quiet motor
- Three elasticized straps
- Plastic tubing easily crimps
- Lid sometimes difficult to open
- Condensation gathers round tubing
- Must refill ice every six hours
Polar Products Active Ice Therapy System
Thie Polar Products Active System was specially designed for drug-free pain relief after surgery. Active Ice Therapy System offers excellent insulation and cooling, lasting as long as you need. Thanks to the three elastic straps with hook and loop closure, even one person can quickly fix it.
- Capacity: 8.5 liters
- Controls: Handheld timer/remote
- Power: Wall electricity
- Simple and effective
- Overpriced compared to others
- It looks a bit unprofessional
Aircast Cryo/Cuff Cold Therapy
This economical non-motorized system uses gravity to provide cold compression. Aircast Cryo Cuff is easy to carry, and the capacity of the jug can provide 6-8 hours of treatment.
Cryo Cuff includes an insulation disk, tube assembly, and plastic fittings suitable for both legs. Place the low-temperature cryo jug on your knees to deliver cold water directly to the cryo cuff.
- Direct water chilled delivery system
- Non-motorized gravity-fed system
- 6-8 hour holding capacity
- Highly portable
- Universal fit for left or right leg
- Large water and ice capacity for the compact size
- Compatible with all cryo cuff and arctic pads
- Must manually press cuff for sufficient cooling
Vive Cold Therapy Machine
The Vive Cold Therapy Machine provides cool, soothing relief for post-surgery inflammation, joint pain, swelling, post-workout recovery, and targeted ice therapy relief when you need it most.
Equipped with a tranquil and compact cooling system, it can hold 6 liters of water and has a comfortable handle to carry. The extra-long tube is insulated for maintaining the water temperature and to make it leak-free.
The uniquely designed pad contours to the body for better and targeted relief and features three sizes of non-slip straps.
- Extra-long foam-insulated connector tubing
- Universal therapy pad
- Three adjustable, secure straps
- Low ice alert
- Secure snap lid
- Leak-proof design
- Convenient carry handle
- Cycle times of 30 minutes or less
- Holding up to 6 liters of water
- 1-year warranty
- The pad includes three elastic straps for securing it in any position
- Suitable for use on the ankle, hip, knee, leg, elbow, shoulder, and arm
- Reduces post-surgery swelling
- Flexible therapy pad ensures consistent flow throughout the entire pad
- Low ice alert to maximize coldness
- Leak-proof design
- Not for people seeking therapy for a specific part of the body
Aqua Relief Cryotherapy And Hot Water Therapy System
You can enjoy a universal cooling pad that you can use on any part of your body. The dual system allows you to use heat therapy and ice therapy at the same time when using this device. It is also easy to set up and maintain.
- 105° – 120° F Heat Setting
- Includes Therapy Pad
- High-Grade Universal Power Plug
- 12-Month Manufacturer’s Warranty
- The large pad has a universal connection so that you can add a cuff
- Allows performing heat or icy therapy with one device
- The system doesn’t come with an instruction manual or tips
- It may have a louder hum that can be distracting when you use it
Arctic Ice Cold Therapy Machine
The 12- quart cold therapy machine includes a durable base unit, insulation tubing, and universal hard therapy pads. All you have to do is add ice and water.
The cold therapy system is designed to ease use, quietness, compactness, portability, and a built-in carrying handle. The base can be easily filled using the guides marked for the minimum and maximum water level. Feel the cold with the Arctic Ice Cold Treatment Machine.
- Additional adjustable strap
- Universal therapy pad
- Cold cubes
- Extra-long foam insulated tubing
- Integrated carry handle
- One-size-fits-all universal wrap
- Easy, compact, and portable
- Whisper quiet
- Leak-proof design
- Competitively priced
- Short 30-day warranty
To sum up, cold therapy machines are an excellent option for relieving pain and reducing swelling. Clearly, they send the effect of cooling liquid deep into the skin, which is much better than a regular ice pack. The machines above are some of the best cold therapy machines you should consider using. The selection for buying is completely based on your needs.